CHEF: CARLA HALL
- 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups canola oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup flaxseed (ground)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups vegan panko breadcrumbs
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- pickle chips (to serve)
- Preheat a tabletop fryer or a large dutch oven filled with 2-3 inches of oil to 350ºF.
- For the Spicy Oil: In a large saucepan, combine the cayenne, smoked and sweet paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until fragrant, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the oil and toast for 10 minutes more, then remove from the heat and keep warm.
- For the Cauliflower: In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the flour, paprika, cayenne, Kosher salt and pepper. In a small mixing bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water, let sit for 10-15 minutes, allowing flax to bloom. Transfer into a second shallow baking dish and season with salt and pepper to taste. In a third shallow baking dish add the panko breadcrumbs.
- Working in small batches, coat the cauliflower first in the flour mixture, then dredge in the flax mixture, and finally remove to the panko breadcrumbs to evenly coat the cauliflower florets. Continue with remaining florets.
- Place about 1 cup of dredged cauliflower florets into preheated oil at a time, and fry for 2-3 minutes or until the outside is golden brown, and the inside is tender. Once all the pieces are cooked, place in a large bowl and toss with the spicy oil to taste and serve with pickle chips.
- Tip: Have some leftover spicy oil? This oil is delicious drizzled over roasted vegetables and inside sandwiches!
- Tip 2: Enjoy this amazing fried cauliflower everywhere you go with our super cute lunch box!